A new report from RentCafe shows that 101 zip codes in the U.S. have switched from majority homeowners to majority renters in the past decade, with 17 of them in Texas.
Of these, six zip codes are in the Houston area. The city with the most zip codes that have flipped to majority renters is Philadelphia.
Based on U.S. Census data from 2011 to 2020, RentCafe determined these six Houston zip codes are now majority renters:
- 77056 (Uptown) – 62% increase in renters.
- 77067 (Northern Houston) – 45% increase in renters.
- 77099 (Alief) – 35.8% increase in renters.
- 77025 (Braeswood Place) – 29.3% increase in renters.
- 77031 (Foundern Southwest) – 22.2% increase in renters.
- 77020 (Fifth Ward/East End) -8.6% increase in renters.
RentCafe also singled out zip codes in Houston and San Antonio as some of the fastest-growing in the country for renter population. San Antonios’s NoDo neighborhood (78215) had the highest percent change in renters with a 237.7% surge, while Houston’s Downtown (77002) saw the number of renters jump 125.7%.