Of the many remodeling projects available to homeowners, which ones add the most value to homes in Houston?
One of the undeniable perks of homeownership is the opportunity to renovate your living space, to remodel and craft a residence that truly reflects who you are.
With that said, though, not all remodeling projects are created equal, and some – especially in a unique marketplace like Houston’s – are more beneficial to your home’s value than others.
For some perspective on the matter, we consulted the Remodeling 2014 Cost vs. Value Report (www.costvsvalue.com), a massively detailed examination of not only the cost of home remodeling projects, but also the value they add to a home.
Using that report, we uncovered the most valuable remodeling projects in Houston, which are:
1. Entry Door Replacement (Steel) – Houstontonians apparently love steel doors, because despite nationally averaging a 96.6 percent return on costs, a $1,093 door in Houston will typically generate a 105.5 percent return for homeowners. It’s somewhat of a mystery, what’s driving this trend, but it’s likely a result of what steel doors are know for, which is: lower maintenance, they’re energy efficient and there is absolutely no cracking or bowing, as with wooden doors.
2. Backup Power Generator – As the “energy hub” of the U.S., it shouldn’t be a surprise that Houston buyers care so much about backup power generators when the rest of the country so obviously doesn’t. In the Bayou City, homeowners can expect to recoup 93.6 percent of the more than $11,000 price tag, while elsewhere in the U.S. homeowners are only getting 67.5 percent.
3. Entry Door Replacement (Fiberglass) – If you live in Houston and you’re replacing your door, whatever you do, don’t buy wood. Coming in a No. 3, fiberglass doors promise a respectable 91.2 percent return on a $2,749 door – far better than the 70.8 percent national average.
4. Minor Kitchen Remodel – An attraction to remodeled kitchen is nothing new, and nothing too surprising. In Houston, homeowners can look forward to an 90.1 percent return on a $17,500 investment, compared to 82.7 percent nationally.
5. Basement Remodel – Last but not least, Texans love their basements – especially if they’ve been remodeled. For spending $56,665, a huge project, Houston homeowners will typically recoup 86 percent of the cost. Nationally, they should only expect 77.6 percent.
©2014 Hanley Wood, LLC. Complete data from the Remodeling 2014 Cost vs. Value Report can be downloaded free at www.costvsvalue.com.
I have to question the #5 Basement Remodel in Houston, TX.
Basements in Houston… has the author even been here? I have come across a few water logged basements in the 3rd Ward and Riverside Terrace… but Basement??!! I think he wrote this about the wrong city honestly.
All of the above are correct except that 99% of homes don’t have basements in Houston and it was forgotten to mention that we also love remodeled bathrooms