Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we spoke with Rainbow International, a global franchise organization providing professional residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services, shares its tips on preparing homes for cold weather.
As temperatures drop and colder weather conditions appear, homeowners must protect their home against potential damage and heat loss. The experts at Rainbow International offer helpful tips to homeowners to prepare their home for the upcoming cold months.
6. Remove leaves and other debris from gutters so winter rain and melting snow can drain. Ice dams can form when gutters and drains clog. This can cause water to back-up and freeze which often leads to water seeping into homes. Look for leaks and misaligned pipes in gutters and make sure downspouts are carrying water away from the foundation.
5. Wrap outdoor faucets and pipes. For homeowners concerned about pipes freezing, shut off the water to the hose bibs and drain water lines. Make sure pipes that run through crawlspaces, basements, or garages are wrapped with pre-molded foam rubber sleeves or heating tape.
4. Add insulation to the attic. Inadequate insulation in attics allows heat to rise up and out of the home, which forces heating systems to work harder to keep a home warm. While adding more insulation may cost money up front, it can save homeowners money in the long run.
3. Run fans in reverse. Rainbow International experts suggest homeowners run ceiling fans counterclockwise to make the space warmer. Air pooled near the ceiling is circulated back into the living space, cutting heating costs as much as 10 percent.
2. Protect against drafts. The U.S. Department of Energy states that drafts can waste up to 30 percent of homeowner’s energy use. To prevent drafts, homeowners can place a rolled bath towel or a purchased draft snake along the base of drafty doorways or windows.
1. Seal ducts to prevent air from escaping. Schedule a technician to test your client’s duct system and repair any problems. Properly sealing air ducts can save homeowners money and ensure the home is heated efficiently.
These and other helpful tips on winterizing a home are covered in the Rainbow International YouTube video entitled, “Preparing Your Home for the Winter Chill.”
Established in 1981, Rainbow International is a global franchise organization providing professional residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services through more than 400 locations worldwide. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its “Franchise 500,” Rainbow International franchisees offer services including water damage restoration, fire and smoke damage restoration, and mold removal. Additional services such as carpet and upholstery cleaning, tile, grout and hard surface cleaning, odor removal, air duct cleaning, and more are available in some areas. Rainbow International utilizes the most advanced equipment, innovative technologies and accountability systems to assure an uncompromising commitment to service excellence and customer satisfaction.