Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we talked with Vickey Wachtel, the broker/owner of Imagine Realty International in Katy, for her top tips for working with first-time homebuyers.
8. Take the time to explain the whole process, from the Buyers Representation Agreement to the sales contract.
7. Have a face to face with the buyers to discuss what their needs and wants are, so you can narrow down the search.
6. If they are considering an existing home with some age, make sure they are aware of the cost of maintenance as well as updating.
5. When buying new construction, make sure they hire an inspector to make sure everything is as it should be.
4. Try to remember that every aspect of this transaction is exciting and terrifying to the buyer; be patient with them as they ask you millions of questions.
3. The forms that are so familiar to the agent might as well be Greek to the buyer; go over everything and make sure they fully understand.
2. Be available; they will need you more than repeat buyers.
1. Enjoy the process from their perspective. It can bring you back to the beginning of your career when you were excited and scared at the same time.
Vickey Wachtel is the broker/owner of Imagine Realty International in Katy. With more than 1000 hours of education courses under her belt, Vickey has numerous designations and certifications, and is part of the International Woman’s Leadership Association.