Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we talked with Heidi Bridwell, Realtor with RE/MAX Compass in Houston.
If you are planning to sell your home, the following tips will help get your home sold fast and for top market value:
8. Boost Curb Appeal– Many buyers will decide to look at your home or pass on it based on the outside appearance. With this in mind, curb appeal is critical. Power wash siding, driveway and walk ways. Paint or re-stain front door. Add some color with seasonal flowers. Wash the windows and add fresh mulch to all beds. I have found black mulch to look best on most homes.
7. Clear out the clutter- If you are serious about selling, all clutter must go. End of story. Clean and clear all surfaces, cabinets, closets and floors. This can be a daunting task and may require the use of an offsite storage facility, but it is worth the trouble.
6. Get your home clean, and I mean Sparkly Clean- From shiny windows, gleaming floors and base boards to scrubbed grout-every surface must be clean. It is a proven fact that a clean home will sell faster then an up kept home, so do not skimp in this area. You may even want to hire a professional cleaning service to help with this task.
5. Rid the pet odors- If you have pets, this one is huge. Although you may not smell your precious pets, buyers coming into your home most likely will. Have all carpets and rugs steam cleaned. If your carpets are soiled, it is a good investment to replace the carpet. Some pet odors cannot be cleaned. Pick up all pet toys and bowls for showings and pick up any pet evidence in your yard.
4. Finish any looming household projects- Make sure any unfinished repairs or projects are complete before you start showing your home.
3. Enticing smell- Make sure your home smells fresh and clean. Use air fresheners throughout your home, but make sure the smell is light and fresh.
2. Routine Maintenance- Replace all burned out light bulbs. Change AC Filters and make sure AC returns and vents are clean.
1. Let there be light- For showings, have all lights turned on along with all blinds open. A well-lighted home shows superior to a dim and dark home. Do not make agents and buyers fumble around trying to find what light switches operate what lights. It is also wise to keep porch and patio lights on at night, since interested buyers will drive by your home at night as well.
Heidi Bridwell has over 17 years of industry experience and works extensively to help buyers and sellers meet their real estate goals. Heidi has received a Certificate of Recognition as a “Top Producer” with RE/MAX, as well as a certified “Top Production Realtor” by the Houston Association of Realtors.